The Barn Project Part 2

In this post there will be a bit of a progress gap, as I did not take many photographs.

My over all design was to divide the barn in to nine equal sections of 160 ft2, not including the second floor over the tractor bay. The center section is defined by the poles as I discussed in the previous post. This will be a drive through and contains approximately 1/3 of the floor plan area. To the south side of this section, which will face the future pasture, there will be a total of 3 animal stalls (2/9) and the permanent chicken coop (1/9). To the north side, the proportions are the same. This area will be used as a large storage area (2/9) and a small storage area, temporarily functioning as a chicken coop

In part one, I mentioned the grade issue and not being able to level the ground. We live in Mississippi on a fairly decent hill (at least from the perspective of a guy who grew up in New Orleans). In order to deal with the slope, I stepped the large storage section of the barn down 18″ from the temporary chicken coop, this effectively reduces the elevation on the lowest part of the terrain. This side of the barn will now be elevated 38″ as oppose to the original 56″. I actually like this solution. I plan to use the large storage area to keep feed and hay. This arraignment places the floor just about pick-up truck level.

I accomplished my change in elevation by building the floor on blocks and using 6×6 posts, much like framing a deck with Dek-Blocks. However, the blocks in the picture are only used to hold the 4×4’s. The block itself is secured with re bar to a concrete footings dug below the frost line.

DSC00325

Unfortunately, I did not photograph the foundation work, the first stages of framing the deck or the temporary chicken coop, but below are some pictures of the mill sawing the pine logs for the walls. You can see my solar kiln in the background. Once I cut the 2×4’s (actual not nominal) I place them in here for a week and reduce the moisture content to 25-30 %. I have had no warpage issues to date. I attribute this to the partial drying of the material.

DSC00113

Future studs

DSC00154

Here’s a picture of my daughter helping me make the floor boards in my shop. If you look in the foreground you can see a stack of boards that we are ship lapping on the joiner. This is one of four piles we processed.

photo
All of the material is pine. I salvaged this about six years ago from a Wienig moulder crate my previous employer purchased.It was going into the dumpster.Waste not want not! Besides,trees take a long time to grow.

DSC00320

End section of the shiplap.

DSC00322

The final product. It’s a bit dirty from tracking in dirt with all of the rain we’ve had, but hey, its a barn. Who cares. Only 480 ft2 left to go for this side!!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>