The Barn Project

As if we don’t have enough irons in the fire. I will be adding pictures of our current project, the barn.

I originally had the idea to build this as an exercise in using my Woodmizer LT-15 sawmill. We are slowly clearing land and I wanted to do something other than burn the trees I’m cutting.

The construction is sort of a design it as you go project. Most old barns were framed with green lumber and that’s the technique I will be using here. We plan to saw all of the beveled siding from pine logs I received from a guy I know who trims trees. Not being a carpenter or a timber framer, I’m sort of using a bastardized method of framing. All and all it seems to be coming together fairly well.

The first couple of posts will be longer and with more pictures as I try to catch the blog up to our current construction point.

DSC00546

Getting help with the site survey

DSC00535

Scraping and Light Grading.

We wanted level,but the slope was to great. We’re not ready to dig a pond and I didn’t want to purchase dirt. More on how I overcame this late.

DSC00522

Pulling a stump from a tree downed by Katrina.

DSC00587

Cutting roots from the Post Holes

My target hole depth was 5’deep. Now, I consider myself active and healthy, but digging holes by hand is REALLY hard. Over coming tough situations always leads to some self-discovery. Here’s what I discovered….My physical limit for digging 18″ diameter 5′ deep holes is exactly 7. Unfortunately, I needed 8!! The eighth hole was ALL mental!!

DSC00001Finally, the eight posts that will form the center alley of our barn and house the tractors.

DSC00558

Even the dog was tired!!

Until next time, Tread lightly

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>